La traviata: Summary
Violetta, a courtesan suffering from tuberculosis, and Alfredo, a young bourgeois man from the south of France, fall in love.
Please come and see me when these flowers wither.
I’ll come to see you tomorrow.
Violetta has quit her job as a courtesan and is living with Alfredo in the suburbs of Paris. Germont, Alfredo’s father, comes to see Violetta. At Germont’s request, she decides to leave Alfredo.
I want you to leave my son. Please be an angel of comfort for my family.
Violetta leaves him without explaining why she is leaving him. Alfredo mistakenly believes that she has chosen money over love. He insults her in front of people.
A few months later, Violetta’s illness worsens. Alfredo and Germont rush to her, but Violetta dies.
La traviata: Character Map
La traviata: Roles
|Violetta Valéry||a courtesan||soprano|
|Alfredo Germont||a young bourgeois from the countryside||tenor|
|Giorgio Germont||Alfredo’s father||baritone|
|Flora Bervoix||Violetta’s friend||mezzo-soprano|
|Gastone de Letorières||Alfredo’s friend||tenor|
|Barone Douphol||Violetta’s patron||baritone|
- Native title: La traviata
- Composers: Giuseppe Verdi
- Librettist: Francesco Maria Piave
- Based on: La Dame aux camélias by Alexandre Dumas fils
- Language: Italian
- Premiere: March 6, 1853, Teatro La Fenice, Venice
- Running time: 2 hours 10 minutes (Act 1: 35 minutes, Act 2: 60 minutes, Act 3: 35 minutes)